Otter Creek Covered Bridge

Otter Creek Covered Bridge

 

Holton, Indiana
Otter Creek Township

 

Holton Community Center

 

Holton is known for the Otter Creek Covered Bridge and Music in the Park held every 2nd Saturday.  Other features include Churches, Bank, Bar & Grill, Car Repair Shop, Fire Department, Food Mart with Gas Pumps, Package Store, Town Police, Post Office, Radiator Shop and Saw Mill.

Located on Highway 50 East and West

Town Council

Paul Hughes, Andy Stratton, Angela Farrell

Town Clerk Treasurer

Gretchen Moore

 

Holton Town Hall 812-689-3269

holtontownclerks@gmail.com

 

Pictures of the park

  History of Holton - As a part of Otter Creek Township, the Town of Holton was platted in 1854 with 131 lots, the majority of which were owned by Jesse Holman.  Other owners were Henry Yader, Samuel Cady, A. P. Cady, Nathaniel Behymer, and Eli Murdock.
     It was suggested in August of 1854 that the town be registered by the name of Holman, but Jesse Holman did not agree, and so the name Holton (Hol-town) was settled upon.
     The survey for the town was made at the same time a survey was being made for the Ohio and Mississippi Railroad in 1854.  The six-gauge tracks had wooden rails with iron on top and were made at the Holman sawmill.  The first train came through Holton on July 4, 1854.  Local residents will tell you the railroad through Holton is still very active, and one can set his watch by the time the trains come through the town.

 

Tornado Shelters

Holton Methodist Church and Holton Christian Church both located on Versailles Street

 

This site created and maintained by the Ripley County Technology Department

Last Updated 9/13/11

Return to Ripley County